Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Carondelet Park Rec Plex Update

Here's some great info from "Doug" a commenter on my previous post re: Carondelet Rec Plex:

"I attended the 5:30pm Loyal Member Meeting with my Mom who, courtesy of her kind insurance company, is a member of the Carondelet YMCA. I have been a member in the past, but ended my membership due to the high cost. A total of 16 people attended. I want to first thank the representatives of the "Y" who were all very nice and did what they could to provide answers to all of the questions they were asked. We even received a nice travel mug at the conclusion. Now for some of the answers.......They believe it will open in the middle of November.

Will there be yearly rates? Yes and no. Along the same guidelines as the YMCA, monthly payments are the only option.

One day pool passes or one day facility passes? No not at this time. They encourage memberships so you can receive the full YMCA experience.

Status of the North Side Rec Plex? It will be built in O'Fallon Park. This is near West Florissant and Highway 70. No word on whom will operate this complex.

The lower field will be used for soccer, baseball etc..just like it had been.

We were told the City of STL looked at several different options for assistance with operating this facility. The YMCA was chosen because of their experience and the quality of service they have provided to the community.

They will be open 363 days a year. They will be closed on Easter and Christmas.

Both the Indoor and Outdoor pool (diving board) will have 3 Lap Lanes, 25 meters in length. As a comparison, the pool at the South City YMCA has 5 Lap Lanes, 25 meters in length. So yes, the new Rec Plex Lap Lane area will be smaller. However, the recreation area i.e. lazy river, Vortex and slide will be larger the South City YMCA.

Current members at the South City YMCA? 3000
Current members at the Carondelet YMCA? 850
Projected membership at the Carondelet Rec Plex? 2400

I hope this helps anyone who is thinking of joining. I think the YMCA does a wonderful job and they do great things for the community.I guess we can soon decide if the cost is worth the "Y Experience".
September 1, 2009 9:49 PM"


Doug, thanks for the info. The prices are steep, no doubt. However, I have complained for years that the city never had a pool. Now we do, and a darn nice one. I can't complain. I will pay the price for the convenience and location. The bright side of the disallowance of day passes is that it won't be as crowded.

4 comments:

  1. We have been waiting anxiously for it to be finished. Prices are steep, I agree, but we plan to join regardless. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^I'll be there too. My kids are stoked. See you at the snack bar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really understand why we have to pay to go. This facility was paid for with TAX DOLLARS. It isn't right ta have to pay twice!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^many places were built with tax dollars, put you still have to pay to get in/use it. Who paid for the Arch? You gotta pay to ride to the top right? I don't mind paying my way to use things that benefit the entire community. And go to the front desk and talk to the extremely helpful staff and they will evaluate your income level and work with you to make accomodations on the monthly fee to meet your earnings. The rec plex is a luxury, and I don't mind making room in my budget for this luxury. I don't have cable/stellite TV, so to me this is our fun money spend.

    ReplyDelete