Friday, November 12, 2010

Veteran's Day

I know I'm a day late, but I wanted to share a comment that a gentlemen left on my Franz Park post:
I lived at 6711 Mitchell Ave across from Franz park from age5 until about 14. I attended Roe School starting in 1927. Just looked on Google at our old home and neighborhood and was stunned to see how nice the entire area remains after about 75 years. I am now 88. I worked at Scullin Steel from 1941 until 1943 when finally got an exemption to join the Navy. I had a critical industry job exemption as crane and Charger machine operator making parts for Tanks . I had to fight the draft board to get to enlist.All young men wanted to fight in WWII.Finally said let me quit and serve or I will quit and be drafted so the finally after 3 appeals. I attended Normandy High and then Washington Univ. later

Don S. Thompson
It's people like Mr. Thompson that inspire me, and truly make me thankful that there are those who feel so strongly about their country, that they would put their life on the line for a cause greater than themselves.  Thanks Mr. Thompson and all other vets out there.

If you are ever looking for a weekend trip, take the Amtrak or Greyhound or drive to Kansas City to visit the WWI museum.  It's one of the best museums I've ever been to and that war is a brutal reminder of the sacrifices soldiers are forced to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment