Saturday, January 9, 2010

Head North Young Man

Inspired by a recent bike ride on the Riverfront Trail with my dearest little seven year old and the questions he posed and the time we shared. Thinking about the great divide between the North and the South and how our city seems broken and insanely beautiful all at the same time. How the rewards are different on both sides of the dividing line, yet the entire city is a strange beautiful mess of mulligan stew.

I'm once again reaching to my record collection for inspiration and a song to cement these fine memories of Fatherhood into my brain. One of may favorite lyrics from Dave Davies in the Kinks song Strangers:


So you've been where I've just come
From the land that brings losers on

So we will share this road we walk
And mind our mouths and beware our talk

Till peace we find, tell you what I'll do
All the things I own I will share with you

If I feel tomorrow like I feel today
We'll take what we want and give the rest away

Strangers on this road we are on
We are not two we are one

May my kids not feel the divide that I feel today living in St. Louis. Love you Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment