Friday, January 22, 2010

Keep your eye on the rich kid

One of my all time favorite movies is Rushmore. The following line is from Bill Murray's character Herman Blume (self made millionaire) while speaking to a bunch of rich kids at an all boy's private academy.

You guys have it real easy. I never had it like this where I grew up.
But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore.
Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich.
But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down.
Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.

See for yourself.  Best chapel speech ever.

I have 3 kids...city kids...public school kids...who may be smart enough to pursue higher education.  Should they choose said pursuit, this movie and Catcher in the Rye will be mandatory viewing/reading for them in a few years.  May the close proximity to underdogs always keep us rooting for those with less or those who are worse off.

2 comments:

  1. I love this movie, too. I've taught it in my senior Alienated Hero class for years—and will be doing so again in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^Alienated Hero class? I could've used that back when all the pimples, Ocean Pacific shirts, high tops and mullets were upon me.

    ReplyDelete