Sublette Park is 1 of 108 St. Louis parks located in the Southwest Garden neighborhood (although it feels more like the Hill/North Hampton).
This 13.52 acre park was placed into ordinance in 1925.
The park takes its name from the street on its eastern border.
Here's who Sublette is named after:
Named in honor of William L. and Solomon B. Sublette, western fur traders who were landowners in Gratiot League Square. The street appeared on St. Louis maps dating back to the 1850s. Portions of it were also known as Cheltenham Avenue and Blue Ridge Road until 1881. It was Blue Ridge Road from Connecticut to Pernod until 1881. (source)
Today the park has tennis courts visible from Arsenal, multi-purpose fields for softball/soccer.
There is a multi-purpose utility building, a playground w/ swings and not much else. This park is ready for some love and landscaping.The neighborhood surrounding it is typical clean and tidy South City.
Let's hope the neighbors band together and make this a special place...as it sits today it is a blank canvas.
What was this? Volleyball court? Anyone with the history, please comment. Update 02/20/14: the Hill facebook group responded heavily and confirmed this was indeed a volleyball court where the Catholic schools had showdowns. Why not bring it back to life? That would be awesome.
The park was in heavy use even a cold day with kids and families and people running their dogs, etc.