Saturday, February 8, 2014

Walnut Park

Walnut Park is 1 of 108 St. Louis parks located in the Walnut Park East Neighborhood bordered by Plover, Lillian and Thrush Avenues.


The 2.3 acre park was placed into ordinance in 1974.

It pains me to see how bad this part of the city is.  Burn outs, board ups and trashed/falling properties are more common here than anywhere else I've seen in the city.  Homes directly across from the park:

  



There is a day-care on the corner of Lillian and Thrush:


This park is a reflection of the lack of care and commitment throughout the neighborhood.



Sorry to be a downer, but to tell the story in any other way would be disingenuous.


2 comments:

  1. Sad to see the decay. I often talk about the great time I had as a kid. I walked everywhere. My mom and I often took the bus downtown to shop. I walked to school, church, the park, the library and to all my friends' homes and relatives too. I loved that neighborhood. Marcia from Tucson now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Walnut Park, went to St Adalbert's grade school. When I was 15, I worked at the Rio Show on West Florissant and walked home at 10 pm without a worry. We walked everywhere, there was no crime to speak of, no burned-out houses, broken windows or overgrown yards. Certainly no murders. Nobody had much money, but we did have pride.

    ReplyDelete